The D Word

Originally printed in our November Day School Newsletter 

Death is a difficult word to say for it's stark truth. My dad died at the beginning of October, and now he is dead. These days in American culture we try to disguise death in softer language. We don't like death, we pretend it isn't a thing. Perhaps it stared with funeral home culture; those who have to talk with so many people about death often use language like "passing on," "departing", or even "expiring". Then there's a host of language about going to be with God, Jesus, etc. all of which I believe, but I still use the D word, and I think you should, too. 


The reality is death is part of life. It is the very end part. As different as we all are, each of us one way or another arrive at death. That makes me very aware of the gift of this present moment that I am living. I am alive now, and I will not be one day. I'd better get busy! It pushes me to relish my relationships, and let go of petty things...sometimes. Sometimes I forget, and fall back into pretending this lifeline of mine goes on forever.

Ah, forever. What kind of priest would I be if I didn't mention forever. I trust that the dead are enjoying heaven and in God's close embrace. I believe that after my dad died, he passed over a threshold and that he is present to me spiritually. (I don't picture heaven as a far-off geography in the sky.) This month begins for Christians with All Saints Day, and All Souls' Day. November first and second we remember those who have died, the Saints of the church and saints we knew. We remember they are with God and spiritually still with us. Christ has led the way for us so that we need not fear death, even though it is still painful when our loved ones die. I miss my dad. One day I will join my dad, but not yet. I've got a lot of living to do, and he was always so patient with me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide