For All the Saints

At the end of this month we will celebrate a most seemingly bizarre holiday. On the last night of the tenth month, we encourage children to put on scary disguises and go door-to-door in the dark, begging for candy. I love it. I look forward to Halloween each year in it's American expression, and especially the way it happens in Port Aransas. Three cheers for Channel Vista! 

A couple of years ago, I painted my face Dia de los Muertos style as I tried to keep up with my son and his friends running around the neighborhood. We have a small side-altar at our church in front of the columbarium during this month. There we place photos of our loved-ones. Day of the Dead goes all month for us. Then around All Saints' Day, November 1, we say special prayers at that side-altar. We remember that for the faithful, "...life is changed not ended..." as we pray during our funeral service. A few years ago, I added my a photo of two of my nieces to the altar, and this year I've added a photo of my Dad. As I process in each Sunday I see their faces and remember they are worshipping God gathered around the throne of Christ, even as we worship gathered around our altar. 

Many years ago, my Dad pointed out the Evangelists depicted on the cross above the altar in St. John's, Silsbee. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are there on the four branches of the cross. He said that when we sing the Sanctus, "Holy, Holy, Holy Lord..." he looks up at that cross, and remembers the evangelists are gathered around the throne of Christ with all the Saints, and the whole host of heaven including, he taught me, "...your grandad and grandmother." Now when we sing, I listen for his voice, and the voices of my nieces, and all those who have gone before us to join with the Saints as they sing. 

All Hallows (another word for Saints) Eve will come, and though cartoon and horror movie characters seem to be much more popular than the Saints, that is the actual root of the candy-fest holiday. On the eve of All Saints day, we have Halloween, and remember that those who have gone to the great beyond, aren't really that far away. They walk with us, pray for us, sing with us, support us on our earthly pilgrimage, and await our arrival when our time to join the dead eventually arrives. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide