Nothing Never Changes

Originally Published in the South Jetty Newspaper

No one needs me to point out that a lot of things are changing, have been changing, and will continue to change in Port Aransas. I heard about how much had already changed by the time I moved here in 2012. That has a lot to do with how attractive our little island home is, set here on the edge of Texas in the Gulf of Mexico. Who wouldn’t love it? (Thanks be to God for those people who do not, and prefer to live and even vacation elsewhere.)

What brought me here, and people in the early days, continues to attract people to this little sand bar. She was wild, and she still is. That’s what the coyotes tell me as they track jackrabbits across our church yard.

Change is a difficult thing to live with, but when change stops so does life. Change is the nature of this good creation we inhabit; of which we are a part.

We pray a Psalm each week in church and at the end of the Psalm we add: “Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning is now and will be forever. Amen.”

Nothing never changes. Some mystics rightly point out that God is Nothing, or No-thing. God is not a thing. God creates us, changing things we are. God already was, is, and will be. The creation set in motion is change. It is expression of God’s love; it is still creating as much as it was created.

There are plenty of things that change in my life and around me I tend to get grumpy about. It helps me when I remember to step outside at night to look at the stars, and listen to the constantly changing sound
of the waves. That usually sets me in a good prayerful place: appreciating God’s changing creation leads me to rest in God’s eternal changelessness.

From that place, I can then try to relate in a healthy way to life’s changes and chances, and notice what change to support and what I might seek to resist. We humans have been called forth from dust to be stewards of God’s creation. What we do with our time on earth matters, and what God gives us to do is our responsibility to do.

We are in this together: the jackrabbits and coyotes; developers and retired hippies; clergy and business owners. We have been called into existence on our planet and called together here on our island. We are here in this slice of creation that will continue to change faster and slower. Remember what it’s about and what you are about. Remember to give thanks especially in this late autumnal season, we’re all dealing with the changes of life, and we could all use loving reminders that Nothing never changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide