outrigger

I had the pleasure of paddling an outrigger as part of a four man team. It was to support a stand up paddleboard 5K race (SUP.) It was a reminder of what it means to be part of a team. Captain (Chief?) Dave gave great instruction about how to stagger which side we paddle on, and that the second and third paddlers follow the stroke rhythm of the first paddler (who calls "hut, hoe"! when it's time to switch which side we are paddling on...time wear out the other muscle set.)


I think we did a pretty good job, especially considering two paddlers had never sat in an outrigger. It's a bit different from drifting down the San Marcos... One risk is flipping toward the non-outrigger side, especially in the surf. When that risk arises the chief calls out "tend the ama!" That means, throw as much weight onto the ama: the outrigger float, to hold it down. We made it in fairly easily, but I've seen a video of a canoe trip in much bigger surf. On that trip, tending the ama was essential. Just watch it, it's worth it. 

Getting into the same boat (taking ownership) and paddling in synch (alignment) makes the boat go smoothly, and can be a really fun adventure. When we weren't paying attention and our rhythm was off, we had the most trouble. It was all fun; it was all a learning experience. 

I hope to go out again sometime (hint-hint), and when I do, I'll feel a little more prepared. I hope I will also make more mistakes and learn more about that great canoe (Dave actually made the canoe.) 

Until then, I'll be pondering how best to listen to the Holy Spirit who is the ultimate Chief--and I'll do my best to paddle in rhythm with other metaphorical canoe mates: those at Trinity by the Sea and those in my other community circles. We'll make mistakes along the way, of course, but that's part of the adventure. It's about learning all the time, and having fun while we're at it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide