dying musicians, living musicians

I guess every generation experiences this in turn; the dying of favorite, influential musicians. I'm experiencing it a lot lately. Merle Haggard, David Bowie, Prince, and Guy Clark have all died recently. I'm not trying to remember every single musician who has died in a certain time period, I'm just thinking of the ones off the top of my head. The ones I miss, or really appreciate. I never even saw any of them in concert. I just like their music, and the unique expression each of them in their music. They were authentically themselves, and in sharing who they were through their music, changed people's lives. Death may point us back to life, to reflect on some aspect of who we are, to consider what was attractive about the person who has died, and to get in touch with that part of ourselves... now to the living...

I've been playing music with my friend Justin Stewart for about 20 years, from time to time. After fronting a few bands, he's now solo, and has some great musicians who play with him in the studio or for shows. He has recently taken the leap to put his whole heart into his musical vocation; he is a full time musician. I hope you'll check out his website and see what you think. I think he's pretty great. Patrice Pike has become a good friend over the past ten years or so, and I've been listening to her music since I was in high school. She's always been a musical role model for me, and when I lived in Houston, I enjoyed catching her weekly shows. If I lived in Austin, I would probably go to Saxon Pub on Thursdays to hear her play, whenever I could. When I go to hear Justin or Patrice, it's not so much to be entertained, though they are entertaining. I go to be inspired. I generally take my journal with me, because I always get ideas, or want to sketch something. Music feeds me, and witnessing creativity helps me to be creative.

With all these musicians dying, all these masters of music, I want to be with living musicians. I want to hear what they are doing musically, and I want to be inspired to make my own small contribution. Concerts have their own spiritual dynamic, and I have the privilege of inviting musicians to play at church from time to time. Trinity Sunday, we had an amazing line-up of musicians play during Church-on-the-Beach. (This is the part where I name some people.) A Ukulele Band:Susan Sheehan, Laura Derkits, Suzanna Reeder, Brooke Sohl, accompanied by Gay DeMontel, Flute and Carol Elliot on Guitar; got the service started. Charlie Stovall, Ronnie Narmour, Billy Snipes, Walter Sohl, and I joined in along the way; we all played for the grand finale: I'll Fly Away.

Eucharist means thanksgiving, and I am still feeling thankful that everyone shared their musical gifts. I'm thankful that I have musical gifts to share in community.  Great musicians (known and unknown) will always be dying as time marches on; now is the time to listen to their music, and to make music of our own. I don't usually encourage taking things literally, so read this metaphorically as needed. In this case, though, if the music thing resonates...if you've got a dusty instrument sitting around, pick it up! You can re-learn. If you always thought that one day you'd learn to play whatever, make today the day. Do it to honor Prince or Merle, or your favorite musician living or dead. Be inspired by them; then live that inspiration out in your own being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide