and keep it Holy

Originally published in the South Jetty Newspaper
In Hebrew scripture, Moses brought down 10 Commandments (which led to the need for much clarification leading to 613 commandments, and the great simplification by Jesus back to just 2.) One of my first mentors pointed out that the most commonly broken of the 10 commandments is "honor the sabbath and keep it holy." Now, if you know me, you will know I'm not a fundamentalist literalist; I'm not advocating for everyone to take Saturday off; what would the tourists do?

I do advocate for taking the spirit of that law, and finding time on a regular basis to remember that God is God, and we are not. We are to take holy rest: spend time recreating and in prayer. When we do that, we practice trust that things will carry on without our constant attention. Honor the Sabbath and keep it holy. I try to do that most Fridays, though it doesn't always work out.

In that same spirit, my church encourages clergy to take a sabbatical every seven years. A time away from the daily demands of parish ministry to focus on renewal and rejuvenation. I was ordained in June of 2006, and I'm looking forward to taking my first sabbatical starting next month. I am grateful to my Bishop and vestry for granting the sabbatical. I'll be away from Trinity by the Sea for 4 months while some outstanding visiting clergy come to cover services (including The Rev. Doug Schwert who was here just before I came in 2012.) The theme of my sabbatical is "Create in me a clean heart," from Psalm 51. I'll be doing things that are fun and re-creative for me including touring a concert with a friend, taking a surf trip with my family, recording an album, and writing. I won't be writing this column though, so I'm signing off for a while. 

It seems to be coming at a good time for our church, and for my family. I look forward to taking this time of rest, and returning refreshed to this place we love, to step into a new season of ministry. This also gives the congregation a break from my preaching! It is a time of renewal for them, too. There is a shift that happens, or so I'm told by clergy who have taken a sabbatical recently. The rest brings greater health, and clearer direction, but that's a conversation for later. 

For now, South Jetty readers (and staff!) I just want to say thank you. I am grateful to get to be a priest here at Trinity by the Sea, to serve our community among our fellow clergy at other churches, and to get to live in Port Aransas with my family; see you soon!    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide