Sustenance

We've had beautiful sunsets recently! 
I had a dream last week that was very telling about what I need to be doing to keep myself healthy. I am the priest of a small, vibrant, substantial Episcopal Church called Trinity by the Sea in Port Aransas. Recently, Hurricane Harvey rolled through (nature doing its naturing, thank you Jim Hollis) and created chaos among the buildings, homes, and infrastructure upon which we've come to depend, and knew as familiar.

The beach has even changed--with a water inlet along the beach side of our jetty, and an AMAZING assortment of shells. The few times I've snuck down to the beach I've been grateful for time well spent. Sunday, after working more than I intended to, I went down to watch my wife Laura surf, and my friend Mark demanded I get out there. He even had a board waiting for me. I did, and caught a few of the small waves that were rolling through; my body and soul felt better for it.

Episcopal Family Gathered at the Supply Depot. 
The response of people across the state and country wanting to help Port Aransas from a place of of love for our island, love for the people they know there, or just wanting to show compassion for a community that has been through a trauma is the most beautiful and grace-filled thing. Sometimes it's even overwhelming. As a community, we are learning to express exactly what we need, because some of the well-intended donations have taken more time and energy than we had to spare. Bodies and dollars is the greatest tangible gift. Maybe a mop and some duct tape.

The most sustaining thing for me, what orients me to the day ahead, and what connects me with workers nearby, as well as displaced people from afar, is prayer. We gather daily at 8 a.m. in the nave of our church (which received very little damage from the hurricane!) to pray daily devotions from the Book of Common Prayer, p. 137. I live stream the prayers for people to join in through facebook. I usually bring in an extra prayer or two, and I offer a brief "what's been happening" and "whom else we're praying for" at the beginning. It grounds our work in that living water, the well that never runs dry.

A quick sketch; Do the Work

The dream I mentioned above was a rousing reminder that I need to engage in doing my own spiritual work. I need my own prayer practices, and to draw from the well of life in my own way if I am to be of service to others; if I am to be a priest to my community.

So, here I am writing. I sketched after talking the dream over with my therapist. I'll go surfing again today. I had a beer with a friend at the end of the work day yesterday. I am certain I'll be writing and playing music when I get my dry guitar back from College Station. While there is a tendency to think having the right stuff will fix problems, these 2 1/2 weeks have been a violent reminder that the spiritual practices are what will sustain us. They will empower us with perspective, stability, guidance, patience, kindness, compassion, and hope. They will remind us to love one another as God is loving us.
Pray for Port Aransas and pray for your own community; turn to the practices that sustain you, and that connect you with God's living well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide