Finding Joy

I have had the privilege to be in the presence of Bishop Desmond Tutu a few times, and I have heard the Dali Lama speak once. They beam with an inner light and the memory of being near them brings a smile to my face. I knew they were personal friends, and that they given lectures together, and I recently learned that they have co-authored a book about Joy. I can't wait to get my copy, and read what these two amazing spiritual teachers, who have lived lives wrought with persecution, have to teach us about joy. They are transforming lives around the world, as they themselves have been transformed.

I want to share this good news with the handful of you who read the Pastor's Pen column, because bad news seems to get more air time than good news.  (I'm ever grateful to our South Jetty for including so much good news!)

This is the season of harvest, and the season of reflecting on stewardship in many churches. I am inviting people, in some way, to do a self assessment of what percentage of time and energy they spend on their spiritual lives, and what percentage of their time and energy they spend on the heavy problems of the world that they can do nothing about. Our culture seems to be obsessed with worry and fear. Our favorite drug is to find new things to worry about and of which to be afraid. Some of us can't wait to turn on a screen to search for new things to worry about, and to stoke the furnace of fear.

I am not advocating ignoring the needs of the world. I am advocating for bringing a balance to life. We are fortunate, here in Port Aransas, to live surrounded by nature. As I write, I am sitting outside looking at the stars and I can hear the waves in the distance barely more audible than the nighttime insect chorus. In order to see and hear, I had to redirect my attention from the screen to the beauty all around me. I needed to be intentional.

What brings the balance to your own life? What spiritual practices do you incorporate to interrupt the 24 hour news cycle? How do you disconnect from media, and connect with your soul? How do you listen to good news; see the beauty all around you; connect with joy?

"The joy of the Lord is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10) That joy shines through the Dali Lama and Bishop Tutu, giving them strength in spite of adversity. Part of the intention of writing their book together was to invite us to participate in finding joy. Practice joy. Turn toward joy. Whether it is through family and friends, or time in nature, or sitting in your favorite place of worship. Consider, in this bountiful season, what brings you joy. What percentage of your time are you committing to that? Is there a balance to your life that will move you a little closer to shining with an inner light so that others can also be inspired to seek joy?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

movin' the tide

plastic: a spiritual perspective