continuing

 Sometimes I long for my years at VTS (Virginia Theological Seminary.) There are certainly the friends and faculty that I miss, but the environment and the expectation to be growing, learning, and exploring faith and spirituality are what I think I really miss. I read quite a bit (currently A History of God by Karen Armstrong), but there's something about setting aside the time and space; something about being with fellow sojourners that makes the experience that much richer.
I am so thankful for the continuing education requirements of our church, and for the support and time to grow, learn, and explore (including the financial support of Trinity by the Sea and the Diocese of West Texas!) I believe that, as a leader in a spiritual community, if my own spiritual journey is not active, then there's not much I can offer to others...the well runs dry. Of course, I am fed by the weekly practice of writing sermons, writing this blog, etc., but to get away for some serious soul searching takes planning, and getting away.

So June 8, Pentecost Sunday, I'll be heading out to the Inner Journey Retreat. When I emailed my mentor Pittman McGehee a couple of months ago to tell him a bout that book, and how great it is, he wrote back one line: "Get to the Inner Journey Retreat." He's good about knowing when the time is right. I've been here at Trinity for two years, and I love it so much. And because I love it, I put a lot of myself into my work. It's time to recharge and rejuvenate.

Besides the Retreat, I'll be taking a break from writing this blog, and from submitting to the South Jetty. I'll still be writing here and there as I read, study, and relax, but it's time for a slower pace for the summer. Thank you for reading and responding, and I'll get back to this when I have something interesting to say...in September.

The VTS link above is the 2014 Commencement; for The Rev. Dr. Barbara Brown Taylor's sermon, skip to about 50 min.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide