music is my prayer

I remember a moment at summer camp when we were singing some familiar praise song in the evening. It was late in the week, so everyone knew the song by heart. I remember a break in the music when the musician said something about music being his favorite form of prayer. I thought I knew what he meant. I was only beginning to understand.

My friend Dr. George Hassard likes to say "every hymn is a sermon." I agree with him, and I hope he gets something out of the sermons too, but I digress.

I watched Gillian Welch the other night on Austin City Limits; seeing her come alive with each song reminded me, once again, of the joy of making music. I'm still learning how to pray in that regard. I'm still learning to open up and create music the way God has made me to create music. Somewhere between writing a song, learning to sing it, sharing it with others, and finally hearing it come to life; the Spirit is at work. Singing a favorite hymn or praise song connects us with that eternal river of prayer; the words are secondary for me, even though they are important. Music takes my soul right up to dance between the angels circling the throne of God.

T.S. Elliot wrote, "The God who created must wish us to create." If we are truly made in the image of God, then part of that image is fulfilled as we get creative. We may each express our prayers in different ways, but as we allow ourselves to be creative, we are praying deeply.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide