Decemberneverlasts

"I don't even know why we have December, it never lasts." Thank you to Ellie Wilemon for that precious little quote, and for permission to quote! If you feel like her, first, realize you're not alone. Second, I'm surprised and delighted that you're reading this.

December zips by not only as a month, but with December, we suddenly find ourselves at the end of a whole year. My own 2012 turned out very differently than I thought it would. It was a year of transition; when I read back in my journals to last December, there are hints in my writing and in my dreams that something was stirring.

December is a darker month for us in the northern hemisphere. It's a reflective time to contemplate where we've been and where we're going. Perhaps because of that introspection, we sprinkle the season with festive celebrations. Parties with friends and families, it seems, leads to more introspection. We see one another grow when we gather together. We see children growing. In all of that, we see ourselves growing older.

I texted a Happy Birthday note to a friend, and made a joke about going camping in the Guadalupe mountains, "after finals are over." That was our practice for a couple of years in college. Finish finals, go camping. In no time he texted back, "That was 15 years ago." I didn't reply.

"I don't even know why we have December, it never lasts," said Ellie. Maybe we have December because it doesn't last. We need this month at the end of the year. We need these celebrations together, and we need clear dark nights to see where we've been and where we are going. We need December to catch up with our friends, our families, and our selves.

So, instead of feeling overwhelmed with the pace of life this December; I'm feeling thankful with the gift of life. The gift of this year, this month, this day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide