play


We are busy people. Not just me, or my family, or my church friends: Everyone is busy. We all stay busy, and it is my hunch that part of the challenge for the Church (of all shapes and sizes) is to help people remember not to stop, but to pause from time to time.

Cooper is our five year old puppy. He will always be a puppy, I'm afraid. We put training hours into him, and yet, he still behaves like a puppy. He is has become the more vocal of our two dogs (Boykin Spaniels), and the last few days he is taking it to a whole new level. He has never been very happy separated from the human part of his pack, but now the instant he goes outside, he turns to scratch on the door to come inside. When he goes into the kennel, he begins this just-perceptible whine that reaches any corner of our house. That whine slowly builds, and sometimes turns into the most annoying bark-howl hybrid that may push me over the edge someday. But not today.

Cooper has been so whiny lately because I haven't taken enough time to play with him. In a sense, he is becoming a barometer for my recreation (re-creation) time. When he whines, he gives voice not only to his need for play and companionship, but to my own need, and now to Eli's need.

There were plenty of excuses not to go for a walk yesterday. Laura was working and it is almost impossible to walk both dogs while pushing a stroller. It was raining, and it was supposed to get worse before it got better. Clothes needed folding, dishes needed washing, etc.

I put on my shoes and coat, and off we went. The dogs, full of energy, were swerving the stroller away from the curb at every step, yet finally we arrived at White Oak Bayou, in the rain and I threw the ball for the dogs.

We played in the rain.

When the dogs seemed worn out, I put them back on their leashes, and we made the journey home with the rain coming down with more persistence. We got back home, wet, and all the stuff was still there waiting. We went back to the evening routine, but everyone was a little better for the play.

Play is not wasting time. When we pause to play, re-create. We give ourselves some room to breath. We process things from the day in a non-anxious way. And then we are ready to go back at it. Thanks be to dog (Cooper) for reminding me to pause and play, so that I can get back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide