Mothers

Mothers' Day Sermon 2024
Trinity by the Sea, Port Aransas
I’ve got two mothers.
One birthed and bore me.
She raised me to be
dressed for church, before the Christening. 
Danced at our weddings bright shimmering.
Childhood memories, holy remembering.
Corduroy rocking chair, well earned silver hair,
she played like the vacuum was a robot.
She'd set me free to roam woods,
so that she could,
get the 5 kid household chores done.
I was still the littlest one.
Another mother I met in college, 
after I met her daughter
who cleverly lifted my heart.
Different from my birth mother:
in-law-Mom, city wit country charm,
rodeo aficionado, from arena to cantina,
like my birth mom: broken hearted.

I’ve got 20 mothers who’ve all helped me along:
boy become man; man needing mom.
Maybe cook or nurture, weave or show virtue. 
mothers listen and teach--not all good mom’s lets each
acknowledge that pain, but not snag on the grain
we’re still shining our own little flames!
I write by one’s guidance, and by one wrote this speech.
Showing knots to climb, unknotting the sublime.
Folding bulletins, folding people into friendships.
Speaking justice; undermining “It’s just us.” 
Losing children, mothering friends.
20 mothers, with caring, strong, hands.

I’ve got 200 mothers.
They are friends, sometimes brothers.
My father tended our wounds. 
Bathed me when I fell,
washed dirt so eyes regained sight. 
In a mirror see the mother I need today,
while my wife mothers our son on his way.

I have two Mothers one the Earth, one the Sea.
The earth lifts up trees, on mountains the breeze.
Heart’s content by flowing stream. 
And the sea, she’s so big! Big Mama: so rich.
The Mar some pronounce Mary:
Wild up above and quiet beneath.
I’ve heard Jesus say, “Abide here and stay.
You’re my brood, and I am your hen.”
I still need my Moma and will all along, 
but I know she needs Moma, too. 
God alone can show 
that holy abode
where hearts can rest in the roost.
Mothers’ Day is complex,
it’s a bless and a hex,
pulls our strings and pushes the buttons.
I won’t let it go, I’ll give thanks, now I know
Divine love gives my comeuppance. 

I’ve got two mothers: 
One outside, One within, and One who is eternal.
If you’re not sure ‘bout that math,
then go take your bath, your supper will be on the table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

Punching Harvey