Enough



    I should start with a confession, or perhaps a statement of fact: I preach to myself. I wouldn't presume to speak for all preachers, but I know that what is on my mind either by way of interest or struggle comes through my preaching. I tell people that after they say a particular sermon spoke to a struggle they are experiencing. We are human beings, and we all share similar struggles. I'm grateful for our assigned lectionary readings that become variably a mirror, counterpoint, or guide. 

    That's a simple preface to address the vicious philosophy of scarcity at work around us these days. It shows up sometimes in humorous, or at least ridiculous ways (did anyone actually run out of toilet paper last year?), and sometimes in ways that are so contrary to the gospel it's frightening. The fear of not having enough stuff gets at all of us. We may not even recognize it because it is so woven into our culture. There are parts of the world where Amazon doesn't deliver (the Amazon?), and the people there still get along.  

    More than the particulars (I do enjoy the convenience of going to a grocery store to buy a loaf of bread) I'm thinking about the way this philosophy of scarcity eats at our relationships. If I believe in scarcity, you become a competitor. I become interested in getting mine, or perhaps ours. How, then, does this color our understanding of God? Is God, or God's redeeming love limited? Is it for me, and not for you? Is it ours and not theirs? 

    Like in my Bible studies, I hope to open questions for you, and give you an opportunity to loosen your grip on what you think you need, and perhaps become even more aware of what you already have; what is God is giving us even now. 

    Jesus tells a powerful parable about a man who is stocking up for himself, and realizes he needs bigger barns. He orders the old barns torn down for bigger barns to be built, and that very night he dies. How many of us are living this parable? 

    This time of year, I am trying to remember that God is our greatest gift, that God the life giver gives abundantly; even his very life in Jesus Christ, so that we don't have to live in fear of scarcity. We are invited time and time again to trust in God's providence. The spirit of the times teaches we need more, that there is not enough for everyone, and that we save ourselves. Scripture shows us that we have already been given what we need, and trusting in God, we can focus on our relationships, and seek to provide for others in our community.

    You can witness this happening in all the organizations and people in our community who give toys, coats, and food to others, people they probably don't even know. Thank you! You are an inspiring and beautiful, living parable of God's abundance here among us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide