Chaos to Creation

Originally published in the South Jetty Newspaper

With respect to my East Texas sister, I do not believe "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." I'm a fan of Ms. Joplin's music, and it is a catchy tune, but I do not adhere to the nihilistic attitude expressed there. I believe there is always a lot to lose, because I value life and I value community. We all have something to lose, if we slow down to think about it. Janis Joplin's song occured to me as I watched the news in disbelief on Wednesday. Not only is it hard to write about the chaos that ensued in our capital from a Christian perspective, I think it is important to take time and find clarity before writing about it, at least from a Christian perspective. 

I began to ponder what was actually being sought as I watch the chaos of a mob destroying property, and the angry rebellion carried out by my fellow Americans. Does freedom mean, to those who participated in the raid, as well as those who celebrated and encouraged it, that there's nothing left to lose? Does freedom mean we live in anarchy, and that I can do whatever I want to regardless of how it impacts the lives of others? 


Governments, those organizing structures humans create to manage our relationships with one another in large communities, are imperfect to be sure. My church has a governing structure similar in some ways to that of the United States. It includes bi-cameral houses of legislators at the national level, and at the regional level. The Episcopal church also has a Presiding Bishop, while other parts of the Anglican Communion call theirs Archbishops. Even on the local church level, we have shared leadership with a rector (me, the priest) and a vestry (a governing board.) So, perhaps I am biased in my perspective. We in the Episcopal church practice trust that over time, the Holy Spirit works through our structures to continue Christ's reconciling work in the world. 

I don't believe it is perfect, nor do I think we are unique as a religious institution in holding that intentional balance of power. I have, however, personally experienced the system at work. It is sometimes a long process, and there are those who seek to disrupt the process favoring their own immediate gratification. I have seen the Holy Spirit bring a room divided by an issue together as we prayed, spoke honestly, and most importantly, listened to what each other was really saying. I only share this because I have never been an elected official on a civic level, but I have in our church governance bodies. In the civic, state, and federal government, I have only been a voter who has received the benefits and challenges of government. 

What we witnessed in that rebellion at our capital was not recognizable as an attempt at freedom. It looked more like relishing in chaos to me. It certainly caught the attention of our nation, one of the purposes of rebellion, and perhaps the source of Ms. Joplin's energizing lyrics. Like the punk-rock music I wrote earlier in life, sometimes you just gotta shout your frustration. 

As a Christian, we know where chaos comes from, and we trust that just like in the beginning, God can bring Creation from such chaos. Freedom for Christians does not mean anything goes, it means we are liberated from such chaos, and live in the ordered, loving kingdom of God. We recognize our limitations, and seek to love others as we love ourselves, wherever we may be. St. Paul put it this way in his letter to the Galatians: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by the yoke of slavery." In a clever paradoxical twist St. Paul later suggests that we become slaves (or servants) of one another and lands solidly on Jesus's summary of the law: "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." Agape love is that which empowers the other. It's the love our Presiding Bishop writes about in his book, Love is the Way.  We have been freed to love as Christ loved us. 

I have experienced dissatisfaction with people in power and authority, even while I have grown up living with privileges others do not have. I have felt the seduction of rebellion. I have even participated in a peaceful demonstration in our nation's capital when I was in seminary (I wore a cassock and was armed only with prayer beads.) 

As I pray for our whole hurting country, I pray in particular for my own heart to turn toward understanding, and that I may become a more loving neighbor. We are not to wastefully take on a new yoke of slavery to chaos no more than we are to take a yoke of slavery to a sinful existence. We are invited by Christ to intentionally celebrate our freedom by being yoked together with Christ who has set us free. That is the starting place for us as Christians to then view the world we live in. This world will continue to be laced with hardships and chaos. I pray we might participate in God's ongoing creation from such chaos by offering love to our neighbors, especially those with whom we disagree. We have much to lose, and I pray now as I did the day after the chaos at the capital for God's to help us "...be united in heart and mind to bear the burdens which are laid upon us...to respond to the call of our country according to our several powers; put far from us selfish indifference to the needs of others; and give us grace to fulfill our daily duties with sober diligence. Keep us from all uncharitableness in word or deed; and enable us by patient continuance in well-doing to glorify thy name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide