Spiritual and Religious

It is with great respect to those who undoubtably find connection with divinity outside the church (or Synagogue, Mosque, Temple, Monastery, etc.) that I offer a brief exploration of the benefits (often challenging) of being part of a religious community. Just today I mentioned to someone that surfing "checks all the spiritual boxes for me." When I surf (sometimes alone) I experience God through nature, exercise, my body, in beauty, and in solitude. I get it. Maybe it's fishing or art or contemplation for someone else. I am a big fan of finding your own way. I actually think that's an essential part of being religious, but there is more. Being part of a faith tradition (for me it's "the Episcopal branch of the Jesus movement", to quote our Presiding Bishop Michael Curry) offers experience, tradition, and accountability. Those things challenge me to get outside of myself, and to consider the experience of others. Trinity by the Sea, our Episcopal Parish in Port Aransas, is an integral part of a Diocese, a National Church, and a Global Communion, we have a big church family. Just here in South Texas, I have two bishops and 90 clergy to make sure I remain healthy in my ministry. The members of our congregation here have one another with whom to reflect, be supported; people turn to when the bottom of their faith drops out, and to celebrate the joys of the seasons of life together.
I'm pondering Jesus' words "whenever two or three are gathered together, I will be among them." There is certainly something about being in community that changes the quality of our spiritual journey. There's more than the sum of the parts; something quintessential in community. To think we can go it alone is to forget that we have evolved to be in community--we are wired to be with others. I'm not advocating for conformity or agreeing to certain doctrine. I'm advocating for community.
The religious word comes from Latin, meaning to re-connect. Religions at their best help us to reconnect. I am well aware that the religious institutions, my own among them, have abused their power and privilege through history. That's our shadow side. The gold of these institutions of religion is that they are the vessels of great spiritual treasure. They pass down stories of people's best articulation of bizarre encounters with divinity. They are stories of people's spiritual journeys. The practices of our churches are just that: practices. My annual walk with Jesus through Holy Week and Good Friday prepare me for the Good Fridays of my own life, and it teachs me to remember to hold on: Resurrection is coming.
Thanks be to God for religious communities in which we journey with others. I have my own spiritual path to follow, and my community encourages, challenges, and supports me as I grow. I'm grateful that I get to be spiritual and religious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide