religious imagination

A cross of crosses kids made with found sticks.
This summer, Eli and I had the opportunity to play on this neat little neighborhood playground when we were passing through Boulder, CO. I don't spend a lot of time on swings, but there I did get to spend time swinging with Eli. Trying to remember how to swing is one thing; pumping my legs, and then, the big pay-off: jumping at the peak for a short flight back to the mulch covered yard. I get dizzy easier now than when I was a little kid. Eli loves to spin and swing and shake his body up to TRY to make himself dizzy. I avoid merry-go-rounds. I thought it was just because I'm past my younger years. I've noticed though, as Eli experiments more and more, and sometimes drags me along for the ride (literally) I don't get dizzy quite as easily. I found jumping out of the swing a little fun. Practicing has helped my body relearn how to deal with being spun, swung, and tipped. Those balancing mechanisms in my ear aren't old, they were just out of practice.

The same thing goes for my imagination. As Eli engages in the wonderful world of magic (Harry Potter), wonder (Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc.), and fear (dragons, ghosts, gremlins) I am along for the ride once again. My imagination, and my creativity have taken on a quality I haven't known for a while. I relish in a world of mystery, wonder, and a world where I don't need to understand things completely. It's a workout for my mind and spirit. It also helps expand my faith. William Blake wrote about the importance of a healthy Religious Imagination. It is healthy to exercise the imagination in a dynamic way, riffing off the stories we've been handed down, the way children riff off of cartoon and movie themes on the school playground. Revisit The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for an example of an author with a healthy Religious Imagination. C.S. Lewis wove a beautiful world together that incorporated themes of his church heritage. He taught it in a magical way that would engage the religious imaginations of generations of readers. He and J. R. R. Tolkien were said to have discussions about how strictly the stories should align with the religious tradition, and how they might be able to stray from, wander out, and re-order the themes. (I'm also a fan of The Lord of the Rings)
A crucifix I made with found sticks. 

As we start off the school year, and settle into the swing of the day-to-day, you might also take an
assessment of how engaged your own imagination is. Just like getting into the routine of a new year, and learning to maintain a sense of balance in exciting situations, we need to exercise our ability to imagine. If you need help, ask a child. As Jesus pointed out, the kingdom of God already belongs to them...we just forget how to live in that reality when we get bogged down by all our adult responsibilities. Exercising the religious imagination puts us in closer relationship with God. Start with a Bible story, and see where the Spirit guides your imagination. Try having a conversation with a particularly wise looking pelican! Have some fun, and discover the mystery of God's Universe and the gift of your imagination that has been planted at the center of your being.

Comments

  1. Wonderful blog on imagination James. Very enjoyable read. Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

movin' the tide

plastic: a spiritual perspective