my summer vacation

Summer Vacation in Sketch and Caption

 This is a snow melt lake scene we hiked up to from Duncan Park. The white areas are snow. It was really cold. I know because after hiking for miles with little kids, we were all ready to cool off. A few of us swam. I could barely breath from the cold-shock. I came out energized and ready to hike back.


While at Dunan Park, John decided to be baptized. This is him coming up from the icy cold water wide awake (see enter the Way.) Most of the group was gathered on the bank in the dusk, and I stood by in case he fell over.


This is another lake near Duncan Park where we hiked. The kids found themselves a fenceless playground and romped around the pond, while the parents watched the forest edges for lions and bears. 

We took a train from Denver to Winter Park where we stayed with the Kidds. They took such good care of us! Penthouse condo, mountain biking, including downhill, and the alpine slide: a concrete slide with little wheeled sleds. Eli liked to leave the brakes off the whole way down. The train ride though, there and back. I love train travel. I'll leave it at that for now. 

In winter park, I noticed a sign for live music. I wandered down to catch this picker (with her toddler wearing matching boots and hat) for some originals and traditional tunes. Eli and Laura were taking a nap. It was a nice chance to be inspired...so I sketched and enjoyed a refreshing beverage.

We got home in time to greet my one of my sisters who came for some beach time with her family. What a way to re-enter the day-by-day. It was good to be with them, and I hope to go visit their home in the hill country soon. They found a creative way to lounge in their beach chairs AND  be in the water, watching the kids boogie board...



That's not everything, just a few sketches of moments. The sketches (like photos) help me remember scenes, and sharing them helps me remember what a great time it was. I'm grateful to have the time away, and the return to Port Aransas and Trinity by the Sea; I feel refreshed and ready for the Fall-Stewardship-Advent-Christmas-Epiphany-Lent-Easter experience that is about to come to us. And that's not even including our Master Plan and Capital Campaign. 2016-17 is going to be a big year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

movin' the tide

plastic: a spiritual perspective