soccer

Laura and I are coaching soccer again this year. It has already been a lot of fun. That's what it's about, especially at the under-6 level! We tie a team jersey on the goal to help them remember which direction to kick the ball. We work on learning to pass, but that's a difficult concept at that age. Why share the ball, when the goal is THAT way??

It's really hilarious. And a joy to witness those little moments of glory, as well as frustration. We don't even keep score (well, some do I'm sure.) After the game, we always make sure to say a team cheer. This year we are the Dorados. (Go Dorados, go-go-Dorados!)

This week, my sister called to let me know my nephew Aidan was playing in Kingsville. It worked out that I had nothing scheduled that night, so Eli and I drove to see Aidan play. They are the Austin Waldorf School Road Runners. They lost that game, but it was a regional game, which means they got to play in a regional game! Way to go Roadies!

I was sorry that they lost, but also glad that Eli got to see what great spirits their team was in after they lost. No tantrums thrown, just ready to have some water and a snack on the ride home. They played a good game, and Eli got to see his cousin play.

I was glad to see Aidan play, too. It's hard to believe he is 16 and driving! He's also getting confirmed in a couple of weeks, at St. George's Episcopal Austin, where my buddy Kevin is the rector. I remember the day Aidan was born. And I remember when he was 5. It wasn't long ago. Soon, Eli will be the one learning to drive and getting confirmed.

After his game, I asked Aidan, "Are you ready for confirmation?"
"I think so."
"Do you understand the perichoresis of the Trinity?"
"Um, no."
"Good, answer, it's a mystery."

I suggested he ask his priest or bishop about that, just for fun. The perichoresis is the Greek word some theologians use to describe the intra-relationship of the Holy Trinity. The word itself means something like "to dance around." The relationship of the Holy Trinity is like an eternal dance.

Each generation comes along, and God remains dancing and inviting us to dance along, too. So, we teach our children soccer, and how to pray, and we raise them as best we can so that when they get the keys...well the dance goes on.

So for now, we practice cheers for a game whether we win or lose. We practice having fun while we are playing, and we work toward learning to pass. Keep dancing. Keep playing. Go Dorados, and go Roadies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide