Abundant Living


I had heard about the Abundant Living Conference when I was in the Diocese of Texas. It is an annual event there, in March at Camp Allen. I never had the opportunity to attend, but I've been a fan of The Rev. Dr. Helen Appelberg for some time. When I arrived at Trinity by the Sea, I spoke to some of our older adults, who were looking for something to support them in their spiritual life, and I started dreaming of having the conference here. We've just completed the first Abundant Living Conference in the Diocese of West Texas, and it was a wonderful experience. Plans have begun to have another next September (September by the Sea, March in the Piney Woods!)

It is a conference for people over 60, who are engaged in the second half of life, and about encouraging them to live a life full of meaning, and growth. The alternative is what some people do when they retire: feel that life is over, and go about the business of deteriorating. I had the special privilege of attending because I helped organize it. It was a true gift. To be among such a wonderful group of people in their 60's-90's and reflect on the gift of life with them helped me reflect on my own life, and seek meaning in these precious days of my life.

The workshop time may have been my favorite. I got to walk around during part of that time to see people engaged in art (from collage to sand-sculpting), a birding/ecology lesson on the beach, fly fishing instruction, chair yoga, and reconvening with a hymn-sing. I participated in the meditation group with instruction from Helen herself, and then I got to lead a dream group. They were both a real treat.

Though it was a retreat for older adults, being among them was enriching to me personally, at 38. I not only made me excited to someday be in my 80's living a full, rich life (and to want to start making healthy choices now to get there!) it was another opportunity to become aware of the gift of this present moment. Today. This hour. This moment. The gift it is to be able to write this sentence.

Not a week before the conference, I took some time to plan my funeral. In the process I actually shed a few tears as I selected hymns and readings, and instructions for the after-party. There will be a day when I am no longer here. Considering my own non-existence is another of those things that helps me to relish the moment. To enjoy time with Laura and Eli; my friends and family. Abundant Living may be a conference for older adults, but it taught me the importance of living abundantly starting now, or to continue to expand my understanding of what it means to live abundantly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide