the cup

Originally Published in the South Jetty

Jesus answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?" 
They said to him, "We are able." 
He said to them, "You will indeed drink my cup..."

The cup that Jesus refers to here, and does finally drink is his own crucifixion-resurrection. He descends to the dead and is raised to new life trampling down death by death, and leading the way to eternal life for all. The initiating question leading to the dialogue I included from Matthew's gospel is about a request for permission to sit at Jesus' right and left in the kingdom of God. These two disciples are wanting assurance of their ultimate union with God and Christ, and Jesus offers them fair warning about the challenging quest that is required for such a union. He has already given them a glimpse into the nature of the kingdom of God. In God's kingdom, the dead are raised, the sick are healed, the hungry are fed, and the ones considered least among them are to be made first. These two disciples want to be included in such a kingdom, to remain in close communion with God, so they boldly go to ask him...only they don't. They get their mamma to ask Jesus for them. 

Jesus responds not to their mother, but directly to the disciples about the nature of the journey into the kingdom: you have to drink the cup. You have to die and be reborn. Are you able to do that? They think they are, and of course they are, they will drink the cup, as we all do. Perhaps several times in our lives. 
And there's a good chance that quest; drinking that cup will begin like theirs did. We may just want to ask for a place. We may just want assurance that someday we will be seated next to Jesus. Who wouldn't want that? Can I drink the cup?


To drink the cup that Jesus drinks is to die to this world. I'm not referring to the physical death; that one comes to us all at some time. The death-rebirth-cup of the way of Christians is a spiritual death to the powers of this world. A death to the powers that reign in the other kingdoms. Death to might, death to dominion, death to oppression, death even to our worldview and ambitions. To live in the world, but not of the world. It is a cyclical and labyrinthine journey of a thousand deaths and rebirths that we experience over a lifetime as we grow as citizens of the kingdom of God. Different branches of the church have called this progressive journey "divination" and "sanctification." 

Sometimes I forget or neglect my quest. Sometimes I forget to actively participate in drinking the cup of Christ. Sometimes I just don't want to; I want my mamma to just go ask for me. Then I come back around. I remember the moments I have glimpsed the kingdom of God across my life. I trace constellations of those shining moments surrounded by darkness and willingly prepare for the next death and new life that will surely come to me. I ask to sit in the kingdom and say that I am able to drink the cup, praying that God will help me do just that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide