summer slowdown

It's not officially summer according to the position of the earth on our orbit around the sun. We're a little less than a month away from that. However, according to the energy level of people around me, it's summertime! Schools are headed for break, enthusiasm about anything planned around the church is being voted down in absentia. I get it. This has been quite a busy year. I feel it, too. I'm one of the people who is certainly showing signs of summer. And I'm not going to resist it. I know there are some big things coming up this fall that will require a lot of energy and attention. (And planning before we get there.) It's time for a fallow field (although I may pull some of these beastly sticker-burrs that have come up since the rain.) 

As I get ready to downshift, I am going to refocus my creative energy a bit this summer, too. I really love writing these weekly blogs, but for the next few months, I'm aiming for monthly. I have a music project that I would like to focus on, and I'll keep writing, I just won't be posting weekly. 

I've been feeling drawn to do some painting, and I have one small project in mind, and I hope to allow some others to emerge as I go. We did a painting activity on the last Inner Journey Retreat that reminded me how much fun a paint brush can be. 

I offer this, not just as a head's up that this blog won't be a weekly read, but also to offer this practice to you. What can you rearrange this summer, to experience a different side of your own creativity? That theme of sabbath runs throughout scripture: the importance of taking intentional rest. God did it, so, uh, who do we think we are not to rest? It's a good thing to try out from time to time. Ready. Set. Stop.



P.S. Speaking of that rain. The Texas Hill Country is going to need some support soon, beyond the prayers we're already sending. I've reached out to a priest up that way to find out what we can do to help out; when I hear something I'll let you know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide