something new

I did play once in third grade with my buddy Rit Johnson. I remember that we spent a lot of time looking for my lost golf balls, so I just rode along for most of the game. Aside from that, and some Putt-Putt in Jr. High, I've really never played golf. I'm going to do it though, and I've assembled a very forgiving team (I hope they read that, and believe it.)

Once a year, Trinity by the Sea Day School has a Golf Tournament to raise funds for their operating budget, scholarships, salaries, and playground equipment. It's for everything. The school depends on it, and helps keep many Port Aransas families working, since their children have an amazing school to attend daily. It is an amazing school. Nana Ward the director has been leading it for 16 years, and continues to assemble an outstanding staff of teachers. I get to spend time with them once a week in chapel, and it's one of the highlights of my week. Even when the students are especially wiggly.

Usually, when I'm contributing to fundraisers, it's from behind a microphone with a guitar in my hand. I will get to play tomorrow during dinner, and I'm really looking forward to that part.  I know how to play guitar, I don't know how to play golf. Billy Tweedie is going to strap on a banjo, too. We'll trade clubs for instruments, and the fun will continue. Justin Stewart may even join us for a song or two.

The thing that people always report (golfers and volunteers) about our golf tournament is that it's fun! We put the FUN in FUNdraiser! In that spirit, I'm going to learn to play golf on one of the nicest golf courses in the U.S.; an Arnold Palmer course: the Palmilla (Formerly Newport Dunes.) It will be fun trying something new and my goal is to relax and take it slow. It's a scramble, after-all.

Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with a new sport. Or, maybe I'll cut out early to "tune my guitar." Either way, I'm open to the experience. If you're around Port Aransas tomorrow (May 1) and want to come for the dinner and music, come by around 6, and enjoy. Bring some extra cash or a check book to support our amazing school, and be ready to have some fun. (You can also just mail a check, we'll accept those, too. Trinity Day School, PO Box 346 Port Aransas, 78373) It's always amazing to see how many people give to help make our school ministry possible, and have a lot of fun in the process.

Comments

  1. I read it and believe it James. We are going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide