oh twit

Twitter almost caused me to wreck my truck recently. I wasn't tweeting while driving. I was shocked while listening to the radio when I heard, "Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania and other schools traced these tweets [to their counties] and then they analyzed the language in the tweets to see if they were expressing anger, or love, or boredom. ... anger, hostility and aggression on Twitter is better able to predict patterns of heart disease than 10 other leading health indicators, including smoking, obesity and hypertension." Yowza! The story went on to explain that it might not be the tweeters themselves, but people around them that originate the anger, stress, and thus the broken hearts. 

Priests used to have a good deal of influence in their communities; they were a source, among a few, of information and perspective on life. That's not true today. If you were at Trinity (or some church) Sunday, and you're reading this, then you will have had about 20 minutes of a priest's perspective. (more importantly, you would have spent real, incarnate time with loving people.)  I wonder what other sources of information and world perspective you've been collecting. What news channels are you watching? What other blogs or facebook posts are you following? 

I'm not suggesting that you need to hear more from me. I'm wondering how we are choosing to spend our precious time. If you're plugged into some of the hate machines out there: political shout-offs from the extreme right or left, or some other external source of anger, I'd like to invite you to pause and ask yourself why. Why are you giving your precious time to such voices? 

Patrice Pike, a musician I've been following for 20 years now, once announced at a concert that she was taking a "news fast." She had been told by a nun not to watch or listen to the news for a while. The nun suggested that Patrice would find out about the things she needed to find out about, and that she should pay attention to what's happening around her, in her
actual sphere of influence, and not try to keep up with the worries of entire world.

I love you, dear reader, enough to suggest that you be intentional about how you spend your time. I'm going to tweet this blog as I do every week, and I hope it helps keep your heart healthy, and perhaps lower the stress of other hearts and souls in my own county. Here are some ways you can improve the heart-health in your county:


1. Do nothing; sit still and meditate. 
2. Find a log and carve it into a canoe paddle (I'm working on one!)
3. Walk where there are no billboards. 
4. Tell the people you love that you love them. 
5. Plant a garden. Feed people with the veggies you grow.
6. Break your kid out of school early. Do something irresponsible. 
7. Write a poem. Not a good poem, just a poem. 
8. Listen to Patrice's music. Sure to up your love intake for the day. 
9. Read a Gospel. (Literally "good news.")
10. Write about it, and inspire someone else to improve the heart health of their county, whether you or they tweet or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide