The 12 Island Days of Christmas

As we finally arrive at Christmas, after the four-week journey of Advent, I am thankful for my inherited tradition of waiting until December 25th to begin celebrating Christmas. That doesn't mean we miss out on all the festivities, it means we get 12 days of Christmas, so the party lasts all the way until Epiphany on January 6th. That's what the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" is about. Over the years that song has held symbolic meaning for Christians celebrating the Incarnation of Christ, and like all poetry and music, the song points beyond itself to something greater. This year, I would like to offer a Port Aransas rendition of "The 12 Days of Christmas," and invite you to have fun pondering what the symbols might mean for you in your own spiritual journey. (Rather than offer their meaning here...that would be to simplistic.) It is truly a gift to live in a place so full of Spirit, and abounding in opportunities to bump into the mysterious presence of God, which is so much greater than any metaphor we can muster. I wish you a Merry 12 Days of Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Epiphany!

On the first day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
A sunset out over the bay.

On the second day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the third day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the fifth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.
December 25, 2013

On the sixth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the seventh day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Seven waves worth surfing, six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the eighth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Eight bollards blocking, seven waves worth surfing, six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the ninth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Nine shark tooth necklaces, eight bollards blocking, seven waves worth surfing, six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the tenth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Ten golf carts cruising, nine shark tooth necklaces, eight bollards blocking, seven waves worth surfing, six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Eleven scientists learning, ten golf carts cruising, nine shark tooth necklaces, eight bollards blocking, seven waves worth surfing, six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my Island gave to me:
Twelve turtle eggs hatching, eleven scientists learning, ten golf carts cruising, nine shark tooth necklaces, eight bollards blocking, seven waves worth surfing, six stacked-up sand balls; five citrus trees…. four musicians strumming, three pelicans diving, two trout a swimming, and a sunset out over the bay.

Written for the South Jetty Newspaper, Port Aransas, TX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide