perspective


 I hadn't been to Enchanted Rock for about 10 years. A decade away from that place. Unlike my visits to cities I once lived in, the rock remains the same. It was very familiar to me, from the top of the dome to the gruss filled steam bed down below. I went there with a group of eight clergy with Jeff Hammond from St. Barnabas who offered to drive us out there and show us around. He goes out there a couple of times a week, which surprised me, until I realized I go to the beach a couple of times a week. Get out to nature. It's good for one's soul.
We stood up on top when we finally arrived, and someone suggested to Bishop Reed that this was probably the spot where one could see the most geography of the diocese in a single view. As we caught our breath, I felt the breeze and remembered other visits to Enchanted Rock from my past. Once with two of my nephews. Several trips with friends during college. One time with a friend who was an experienced climber. He was helping me learn, but the route we tried was too much for me. At one point he shouted up to me, "Yeah, you just kinda have to use your finger nails right there." That was enough for me, I headed back down the steep rock face. The parts I really like to climb are the boulders where you can get a good hand hold and maybe not even need equipment. Those climbs are fun and playful for me. Then there is the cave, climbing down into the rock. I didn't think I would like it that much on my first trip, but I went along as a good sport. It was amazing. We wore head-lamps, as we squeezed our way through the cracks and over rocks, but when we found a stopping point and turned off the lights, I experienced real darkness. Complete darkness. It was almost as if I was only my thoughts in complete emptiness. Then we turned our lights back on and continued. That was a long time ago.

On this recent trip, after we went up to the top to get the grand view, we circled the base dome and saw all sorts of rock formations and plant life. I left needing a drink of water, and with a clear mind. I felt restored and refreshed. Complete. Instead of thinking I was only my thoughts, my thoughts were quieted and I felt that I was completely me. A different me than visited 10 years ago, for sure, and more me than I have ever been. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide