patrice


Notice the Sister 7 T-Shirt?
I can remember standing outside a 21+ club in Houston when I was 19, trying to hear a few lines float out the door from Patrice Pike’s band at the time Sister 7. I was there with the friend who originally let me listen to the live album “Free Love, Nickel Beer.” Patrice was kind enough to stop by and say hello to us after the show. By that time I was already enthralled by the music and lyrics, and noticed the deep spirituality of the music as much as I appreciated her sincerity and passion when she performed.

By the time I started listening to her music, I already sensed a call to the priesthood, so was reflecting on some of the themes I discovered in songs like “Forgiven” of the self titled Sister 7 album: “We’ll all be forgiven…” Her lyrics pointed toward a loving God who I had come to know, and even recognized that the human institutions claiming to represent God sometimes missed the boat. Her music continues to influence my own theology of a loving God who’s nature is to forgive, and that teaches us to love and forgive as well.
Patrice performing at St. Mark's, Houston (w/Wayne Sutton)

I became friends with Patrice a few years back while I was living in Houston; during a show she mentioned her GraceFoundation which raises scholarships for young adult survivors of homelessness. I stuck around to ask her more about it and find out if I could help. Since I’ve moved to Port Aransas, I’ve hoped to help bring Patrice Pike and her band down for a show, and I am grateful to fellow Patrice fans Kip Shannon, owner of the Gaff, and Bridget Brundrett, who is underwriting the show, for making it happen! I’m also very thrilled that Patrice will be joining us on Palm Sunday at Trinity by the Sea to share one of her songs during the service. Life’s journeys of love, friendship, and music never cease to amaze me.

*see a portion of this blog in this week's Island Moon, "Three Chords and the Truth." by Ronnie Narmour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide