ebb and flow

I was bummed when I read Bishop Lillibridge's announcement that he would be stepping down as Diocesan Bishop in 2017. Like other humans, I would prefer the things I perceive to be "good" to stay the same as long as possible. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The initial knee-jerk reaction quickly subsided to one of hopeful anticipation. I wondered what he might be called to next. I wondered, too, who the next Bishop of West Texas might be. Then, I felt thankful for his ongoing healthy leadership. Stepping down from being Bishop before he is "required" is a healthy thing. He is not only taking care of himself, his family, and the diocese, but he is living the example of being a leader for a season, and moving on to other things when the timing is right. So, I land on gratitude, once again, for our bishop and his healthy leadership.

It also reminded me of a long involved conversation I had with a friend at Collaborative Operating Systems (COS) about St. Mark's Between-the-Bayous and how it welcomed people in and sent them on their way: Andrew was an integral part of starting that community, and then one day he felt called to leave his job (where he was making good money) and to go on a journey around the world. We blessed Andrew on his journey, even though it was difficult to send him out from the nest.

With Rachel from COS, I talked about a healthy community being one that is always ready to welcome people in, and send them on their way when the time comes. Welcome in, and send on. It's sort-of like the tide coming in and going out. The flow of water in the bay is important for the health of the bay.

We've got three more years with Bishop Lillibridge, for which I am thankful. He continues to be a good model for all of us in the church, and I hope that as we celebrate him, we can also bless him on his journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide