swim the springs

The first time I saw it, I jumped in. The day I graduated from College (in December) I jumped in. When I took a youth group on retreat, we went and jumped in. As soon as we could get him there after he was born, we took Eli, and didn't jump in, but did carefully take him for a swim.

The San Marcos River holds a special place in my heart. I began my young adult life on the banks (and between the banks) that river. I've lost count of how many times I've been swimming and canoeing along the San Marcos River from just below the dam (the swimming hole I still think of as the falls at "Pepper's"), and on down the river to Staples. I've been swimming and canoeing those beautiful waters for 18 years now. To go back there is aspiritual  pilgrimage for me; when I teach about baptism, I often remember (and sometimes tell) stories of the San Marcos River.

I've only been swimming in the actual springs, Spring Lake, once. I went snorkeling, and it was amazing. Now, only a limited number of researchers are allowed to swim in the lake on a regular basis, and swimming in the falls below the lake is restricted, too.   ...I found a loop hole.

The Rotary Club of San Marcos is sponsoring a triathlon sprint this weekend, and I'll get to swim 500 meters of the lake. Then bike (14 miles), and run (5 kilometers) nearby. Since moving to Port Aransas, I've been more motivated to take care of my physical health than I have been in some time. It may have started when I exhausted myself trying to paddle a surfboard out into the waves. I realized how unhealthy I was, and I realized there wasn't much excuse.

So, challenged by choice, I started paying closer attention to what I eat and when, and I started exercising in a more intentional way. Lifestyle change ain't easy, and it hasn't been all straight and narrow, but I've taken some important steps toward becoming healthier.

This week, I'll participated in a yoga class that is just beginning in our parish hall. Yoga is body prayer, it is healthy physically, but is is also a healthy spiritual practice; it engages the spirit, the breath. It's a spiritual tradition that remembers the important connection between body, mind, and spirit. An emphasis that is sometimes lost in the Christian world. As Pittman McGehee likes to say, "I've never had a soul walk into my office without a body." Body and soul go together. In the process of getting to know my body once again, I find myself heading back to the San Marcos River, to jump in again.


Thanks to Jim, Justin, and Kevin, for the pictures; Billy for the video!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide