collaborate

I'm taking a training course in collaborative operating systems that explores moving from a hierarchical model of operating an organization to a way collaborative operating. Several times in the tele-seminar, I have felt like I was involved in a conversation about how the Holy Spirit works in community.Of course, I tend to bring a churchy lens to things, but I think there was more to the conversation than my own projections.

Ownership of, and alignment around problems is  the big focus in this system of collaboration. To get to a high level of ownership and alignment takes time, trust building, transparency, and lots of open ended questions. I won't go into this too much right now, but behind this process is the basic assumption that everyone has something to contribute to solving the problem at hand. Everyone brings some perspective, wisdom, or insight that can help identify and solve whatever problem is being faced.

I facilitate two Bible Studies; we open up to Luke's Gospel, find our place, and remind ourselves that the Holy Spirit is in the midst of our gathering and trust the Spirit to help us pay attention to what we need to pay attention to that week. We read until someone says, "Wait, what?" or "Oh! Now I get it..." We read along, usually one chapter per week, and expect that the conversation will go where it needs to go. We honor each person's questions, curiosity, imagination, or insight.

I personally have some things to contribute to the conversation because of my own studies, but everyone else has a lot to contribute, too. My role is to show up, remind us of the Spirit's presence, and help keep an open, safe space to discover the story.

I'm an Episcopal Priest. My vocational identity points to the church hierarchy.The name of our church "Episcopal" is a reminder that we are governed by Bishops. My ordination as a priest means I have taken orders. I've got a place within an ancient hierarchical structure. Yet, we've also included a good deal of collaboration within the church. We have conventions and councils; Bishop's Committees and Vestries. There's always been some level of collaboration within the Episcopal Church.

I'm curious about using this collaborative operating system as a way to facilitate the Holy Spirit's work in community. It is a system that helps open up conversations and make processes transparent. It builds accountability. It focuses on the relationships between group members. This is starting to sound like one of St. Paul's letters--I'm learning it (once again?) from a group that coaches big business executives, governments, and entrepreneurs.

Comments

  1. When the work becomes transparent, it can get holy real quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel, for your comment and posting in the COS Discussion Forum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide