pearl of great price

Learning how to fall is an important lesson across a wide spectrum of activities. I have only ever had one aikido lesson, and it was all about learning to fall. So, two weeks ago, at my first surf lesson, I wasn't surprised that one of the first terms I learned in the surfing vocabulary was related to falling. It wasn't wipeout, I had heard that one...thanks Beach Boys. The new term for me was to "pearl" or to "pearl dive." It's when the nose of the board gets pushed under, and you follow. In the process the buoyant surfboard goes flying straight up into the air, and its a good idea for you to stay down there for a few extra seconds, even if it is cold, while the board comes crashing back down. You may want to stay down there long enough to feel around for an oyster, and crack it open to see if there's a pearl. Thus, pearl diving. I learned that term just in time to be able to use it to describe what happened to me.
I caught one really good wave after a few attempts (and lots of help from my instructor.) And went back out for more. On the next attempt I was paddling in, started to pop up, and watched as the nose of the board vanished before my eyes. I don't remember it being cold at first, but my ears were pretty chilly when I finally came up. I dutifully stayed down a few extra seconds (didn't find an oyster or a pearl), and then came up with my head covered. All was well. I retrieved my board, and went out to try again.

Jesus tells this story about a merchant selling everything he owns to purchase an amazing pearl that he finds. The purchase of the pearl for him is worth getting rid of everything and going after one pearl. The pearl in Jesus' story is the Kingdom of God, and you get there by daily "taking up your cross," or being humble as a servant, or getting down on your knees to wash someone's feet. That pearl is worth giving up everything. To get to the Kingdom of God, you have to learn to fall well. And maybe learn to stay down for longer than is comfortable.

Knowing how to fall in surfing, or aikido, or in everyday life, knowing what it feels like to fall and knowing it is okay, and good; practicing falling, even, allows us to take the risks we need to, so that we can fully experience life. It teaches us to be vulnerable, to be intentional in our quest, and to ride the waves, when we catch them, with humility and thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide