geography of intention

The two questions I find myself asking and being asked again and again are, "How long have you lived down here?" and "What brought you to Port A?" I'm trying my best to remember everyone's name as I meet them, though I've also had to ask people a few times until I remember. But behind everyone's name is a story of how they came to live on this island, and behind how long they have been here is the story of why they stayed.
I'm not hearing the stories of people who have left, of course. Maybe I'll hear those as I travel and introduce myself as "from Port Aransas." People of all sorts of backgrounds have moved here, or if they grew up on the island, they chose to stay here because

-of the slower pace of life
-it is beautiful
-they like to recreate in a certain way (fish, sail, surf, etc.)

And so far, my answers have been mirrors of theirs. Of course the amazing community I found already at Trinity by the Sea, and sensing a call to be part of this community is a big part of my answer, too. But if you know me, you will know that lifestyle, the beauty of nature (creation), and recreation (re-creation) were a big part of my and our decision.

I'm also thankful that I didn't move here just out of Texas State. My years and experience from Houston are part of who I am now,and I'm integrating that into this new culture, place, and community. Now it is time to live here. But like many people here, my work life is balanced with play. Yesterday I went down and met Laura and Eli at the beach for an hour of play before getting cleaned up again for our stewardship meeting.

There is a lot for me to learn about Port Aransas, and what all the realities of an island community, a small town, and a place people move to for a slower pace and beauty and recreation. Just below the surface of those desires is a quest for something. People are seeking a connection to God here. It doesn't always happen in healthy ways, and I'm discovering that as part of the shadow of this place. The quest for connection with God and community can sometimes lead people down treacherous paths. (We have an AA meeting here nine times a week; one of our most important ministries.)

This morning's sunrise was breathtaking. I went out for my morning jog, did some stretches, and cooled off in the gulf waters. As I did, the clouds lit up with pinks and purples that faded to orange and yellow. Then the sun broke through, and it was time to get to work.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plastic: a spiritual perspective

movin' the tide