Woe Eh Aye (AI)
We have a phrase in our household that we use in a variety of contexts: "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." It invites a pause for ethical and moral consideration. It originated in conversations about medical care in critical situations, to considering whether prolonging suffering was really "life-supporting" from a quality of life perspective. The phrase is helpful in many areas of life, though.
It's been coming to mind often as I hear reports celebrating the advancements of Artificial Intelligence. I know that ship has already sailed, and I'm certain I'll come off here as a Luddite or hypocrite; likely I'm both. That being the case, I don't think humanity should give up our intelligence just yet, again: just because we can doesn't mean we should.
In all of God's good Creation, there are of course many other creatures that have emotion, think, and communicate, but I believe humanity, at least for this season, has taken a place as stewards of Creation. We have come to understand ourselves as the Creation becoming conscious of itself. With that awareness comes the ability to imagine beyond limitations. We've learned to invent complex tools, which has led to the many revolutions across our relatively short history. From the agricultural revolution to the industrial revolution we have taken huge leaps that have radically changed the face of the earth and the way we live. It would seem we are in the midst of another such revolution. We are changing the face of the earth again, including how life-giving water is used. The way we live including our livelihood will continue to change as well. To what end?
We've already programed computers, and given away aspects of thinking to computer and devices that are "smart" if not artificially intelligent... In a world where more and more is artificial, I'd like to encourage us to hang on to our intelligence, our creativity, and our ability to reason. As a person of faith, I also believe that those gifts (creativity, intelligence, and reason) should be put to work in service to one another (both human creatures and the rest of Creation), instead of a quest to horde wealth. The philosophy of advancing technology says, faster, smarter, newer, disposable, and less human intervention; pair that with the singular question of Mammon (wealth): "What will generate more money for me?" With only those philosophies to guide us, we could could be left with a dollar-driven, meaningless existence, along with very entertaining videos to keep us numb.
The voice of God, and religious wisdom are outside of financial and technological systems, so can offer a more steady and wider perspective. Jesus preached in the Sermon on the Mount "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matthew 6. 25-28)
The quest for more is the realm of worry. Paying attention to nature, as Jesus teaches, reminds us of the abundance of God's good Creation, as well as our worth in God's eyes. Jesus fed people, setting an example for us to follow. There are many ways to orient our lives in the world, and I don't think the obsession with "more-faster" will lead us to any fulfilment. Blessed be Creation. Blessed be you. You are enough. Think for yourself and be creative by your own God blessed imagination. We can be human, and we should be good stewards of God's Creation.
Comments
Post a Comment