Independence Day in the United States of America

Independence Day is the one of two secular holidays listed amongst our Holy Days, the other being Thanksgiving. It makes sense to me that as our church was established in the United States and our prayer book was gradually revised from the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer, that Independence Day would be included. I've heard stories of church goers taking a pen and scratching out prayers for the king once reestablished as, "The Episcopal Church," though I heard there were divisions amongst the clergy during the Revolution, as part of their ordination vows were to swear allegiance to the King of England, the head of the Church and State. 

Our Prayer for July Fourth reads: Lord God Almighty, in whose Name the founders of this country won liberty for themselves and for us, and lit the torch of freedom for nations then unborn: Grant that we and all the people of this land may have grace to maintain our liberties in righteousness and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Of course the Body of Christ, the Church Universal is not bound by political borders, and even our Episcopal Church includes several other countries besides the United States. Without stumbling into the

heretical delusion of Christian Nationalism, we pray for the land where we live, just as we pray for our local community. Wherever Christians (or, I might add, people of any faith) find ourselves living, it is important to ground ourselves in prayer, and invite the ongoing guidance what Christians call the Holy Spirit, then participate as faithful people in the human structures of governance in our generation. 

I'm grateful to those who, in this land, have carefully crafted our Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Bill of Rights, and subsequent Amendments; grateful for the men and women who wear the uniform to serve on our behalf, those who debate and write legislation, and those lead from elected office throughout these 250 years; I'm grateful that in our generation, we have the opportunity to "carry the torch of freedom and maintain our liberties in righteousness and peace." In our baptismal covenant, we are asked if, we will, "...with God's help...seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as you love yourself...and...strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being..."  As a citizen of the kingdom of God, I will celebrate the anniversary of our country's independence as I pray and strive in our time to make it a more perfect union. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gen-Xer on Religion

Abide in me

To Sing is to Pray Twice